Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 Wrap-Up: A Peek Into My Crazy


Blown Away. How is it the end of the year?? This has just been a year of incredible changes. I sat down to try and get my head around everything that has happened, all the places I've traveled to and people I've visited, and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed. I'll start at the beginning, and hope I don't miss anything!


Over my birthday weekend in January one of my best friends and I took a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and snowshoed to our heart's content. Megan and I hiked several miles worth of snow-coverd trails and frozen lake surfaces, and I developed a taste for snowsports.


Once I'd finally developed that taste for snow, I moved south. The end of February found me packing up everything I own, leaving my job at the vet clinic, and setting off on the biggest adventure of my life: moving to Texas. It's turned out to be the best thing I've ever done.


For the majority of March I was trying to settle in to a new home, new community and new culture. Oh, and a new job. Jared and I were figuring out how to live together, mesh our insane number of pets, and make new friends. I still managed to get out and explore my chosen home a little bit, even though it rained for the first six weeks after I moved to Texas.


In April, I picked up my travels again by taking a short trip north to McGee Creek State Park in southern Oklahoma. It was just me and many miles of poorly marked trail. That was the first time this year that I broke my hiking distance record.


I also took a trip south to visit friends in San Antonio. We managed to pack a cave tour, the River Walk and wine tasting into under two full days. I still don't know how we managed it!


May found me settled in and adjusting to life in Texas. And then I spent the last week of the month back home in Nebraska for my little brother's graduation, a 90 mile bike ride, and several days driving around in the Sandhills on the hunt for historical markers with my dad and sister. Because why not?


In June, things started getting crazy(er). I first took a weekend to meet up with Julia at Chickasaw National Recreation Area, which we spent camping and hiking. And drinking really cold spring water right from the source.


I also drove myself to Buena Vista, Colorado to white water raft with Megan, as well as visit a ghost town, the coolest waterfall I've ever seen, and Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. Oh, and I stopped at a volcano. I also got the worst sunburn of my life and couldn't stand to be touched for days.


In July I went back to Utah! I met my whole family for a sort of throw-back family vacation in one of our favorite places. We hiked Arches National Park, bounced around on jeep trails near Canyonlands National Park, camped, floated the Colorado River and otherwise spent time together. When we parted, Alisha came with me and we explored Hovenweep National Monument and Mesa Verde National Park. When she went home, I headed south and hit several more national parks and monuments (here, here and here) before I returned home as well.


The last weekend of July interns from work and I spent a day at Caddo Lake State Park, the only natural lake in Texas. Did I mention it's full of alligators? And that I went canoeing for the first time? And that I didn't panic even though I wanted to? We also drove through Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge and into Louisiana and Arkansas, just because.


I retraced some steps from last year and cheered on Torrey at Pike's Peak, Colorado as I watched her run her first ascent half marathon in August. I also finally accomplished the Manitou Incline, one of my top three most difficult physical activities to date.


I also camped out at Caddo Lake in late August with some interns from work, where we hit the bayou in canoes to look for alligators with no luck.


And for the last weekend in August Jared and I took a trip just for ourselves! We spent the weekend in Dallas, relaxing, visiting the Dallas World Aquarium, the Dallas Zoo, and drinking and swimming at our hotel. Also, room service.


The for first full week of September I received some major alone-time at Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where I spent the week camping, hiking (breaking my distance record again), driving, and looking for bears. I found 'em, too! Can I just say: Take me back!


With October came a trip to Lawton, Oklahoma with Jared to watch my baby brother graduate from BCT, visit with my mom, dad and aunt, and explore nearby Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge.


The following weekend I went back to Nebraska for the wedding of my sister's best friend. It was a short and sweet trip, but all the more fun for it!


Over the week of Thanksgiving Jared and I and some of our pets headed north to Nebraska to spend time with our families. We ate, drank, visited with family and friends, and tried to cram as many leftovers as possible into the car to take home with us. Did I mention the ice? The week was far too short.


For the first time ever, I went camping in December. Seeing that it was in Texas at my local state park, it really felt more like an autumn camping trip than a camping trip in winter, but whatever. Temps around freezing, a nice fire, warm food, and a nighttime visitor made it memorable!


I managed to squeeze in one last adventure before the new year when I visited Big Thicket National Preserve in southeast Texas. I drove 2.5 hours south, broke my hiking distance record (AGAIN) with a 19.65 mile hike, and drove 2.5 hours back home, all in thirteen and a half hours. It was a gorgeous day, a brisk morning with temperatures around freezing, warming up to a wonderful day with highs in the 60s. It was bright, sunny, the trail was mostly flat (but a little muddy), and I saw a grand total of five other people. I could not have asked for a more perfect December day to smash my hiking record!


As you can see, I've been busy. My 2014 happy jar didn't even come close to being as full as this year's jar, but I'll write about that when the year is over. With all of the changes in my life recently, traveling is my way of injecting some sanity into my whirlwind, but also lets me live. There are many nights where I go to bed content, and I can count every night I've spent in a tent among them. I love my home, I love the life I've built here around my boyfriend and my pets (kids), my new and old friends, and my job, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't travel. I can't wait to see what new trips I get to go on in 2016, and am already in the planning stages of two, possibly three grand adventures!


Below I've listed out my stats from this year's travels. I'm probably the only one who finds this interesting, but whatever.

Total Number of Adventures: 18
Total Time Spent Traveling: about 45.5 days
Number of Nights Camping: 25
Number of Nights In Someone's House: 16
Number of Nights In a Hotel: 15
Number of Nights Driving: 1
Total Cost: $6,452.22
Number of States Visited: 15
Total Distance I've Driven: 17,928 miles
Total Distance I've Been Driven: 3,740 miles
Total Distance in a Car: 21,668 miles
Total Distance Hiked: 144.21 miles
Total Distance Biked: 90.22 miles
Total Distance Canoed: 7.42 miles
Total Distance Rafted: roughly 30 river miles
Number of National Parks/Monuments/Rec Areas/Refuges: 17
Number of State Parks: 7
Number of Human Companions: 33
Number of Furry Companions: 13

I hope your 2015 was as fulfilling as mine... Now bring on 2016!


What I'm listening to: Christmas at Hogwarts by John Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment