Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Clingman's Dome, Round Two


On my final day in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I decided to attempt to see the views from atop Clingman's Dome a second time, as my first time had been unsuccessful due to dense fog (see that story here). I arrived at the parking lot amid partly cloudy skies, with brief breaks in the fog that had foiled my view the first time I was there. I hoofed it up the steep paved pathway to the concrete observation deck as quickly as I could, but before I had even gone halfway I knew it was pointless; the fog was closing in fast, and I wouldn't be able to see a damn thing. More out of stubbornness than anything, I persisted, circling up above the tree tops to the deck. And couldn't see any more than 100 feet all around me. I didn't linger, deciding my time would be better used somewhere else. I stopped at the very bottom of the spirling pathway to the deck, looking back once more, and saw, probably out of spite, blue sky opening up above the Dome.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever had the pleasure of seeing the views from atop Clingman's Dome. What was it like?

No comments:

Post a Comment