Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Taking a Stroll Over Gemini Bridges


A bumpy 4-wheel drive road led us over desert ridges and through dry washes. We bounced along, taking in the red and white rocks and the silvery green desert sage that surrounded us. We reached our destination, Gemini Bridges, and Dad, Austin and I got out of the truck and walked a short distanced to the bridges. Both bridges, carved by flood waters, wind, ice and gravity, hung suspended a hundred feet over the canyon bottom, fifty feet thick but maybe only five feet wide. We weren't the only ones admiring the bridges; several others were taking turns walking one by one across the top of the bigger one, and I knew I just had to do the same. I convinced my brother to hang back and snap a couple photos of my dad and I as we paused halfway along the bridge. Looking down over the edge made me feel really small, and now looking at this picture I feel even more so. I think the only reason you can see Dad and I is because we were wearing bright clothing! Compared to the bridge and the canyon, we were insignificant, and our combined weight was nothing to the thousands of pounds of rock that we stood on, even though we were technically over thin air! I walked back and forth over both bridges a couple of times, relishing in the adrenaline rush I got whenever I crossed over the thinnest point. What a feeling!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you'd have been able to walk across either of those natural bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment