Monday, September 28, 2015

Waterfalls and Mountain Storms


Ardent. Megan and I had awoken before dawn and just traveled two hours south of Buena Vista, Colorado, only to have it start raining as we prepared for our hike. Our destination was only a short distance from the parking lot, up a rocky trail to Zapata Falls. The waterfall is relativley unknown, overshadowed by it's famous neighbor, Great Sand Dunes National Park. Megan and I thoroughly enjoyed the bumpy mountain road that twisted it's way up the side of mountain, and didn't mind the rain too much. We knew we'd be getting wet anyway, because in order to see the falls we would have to wade upstream a bit, and into a cleft in the rocks.


We took our time in the parking lot, waiting to see what would happen with the storm that was dumping buckets of rain over the dunes across the valley. It was headed right for us. Of course. We set off anyway, hoping to get to the falls and back to the safety of the car before it really started to storm. Not even halfway there, though, I happened to look up at the mountain framed right in front of us and saw a bolt of lightning hit the peak. I didn't even have time to think before the concussion stopped Megan and I in our tracks, and I know I crouched down for cover. I think I said "oh shit" out loud, and we both paused as we reassessed the wisdom of hiking in the mountains in a thunderstorm.


I guess I probably don't have to tell you that we decided to see the falls anyway. We reached the creek and stepped into the icy waters. Have you ever been in water that is so cold it burns? That's how cold this water was, flowing straight from snowmelt on top of the mountains. Megan and I made our agonizingly slow way across the creek, trying to stay out of the water as much as possible, yet always moving upstream toward a small opening in the rock face in front of us.


After what seemed like a long time, we were to the cleft in cliffs where we would have to enter to get to Zapata Falls. Megan and I stopped at the entrance and peaked around the corner. Neither of us wanted to go into deeper waters, and with the storm, we really didn't want to be caught in rising water. We agreed to be quick but careful, go until we could see the waterfall, stay long enough for pictures, then head out. We went one at a time, myself first. I stepped through the burning cold waters, no higher than mid-calf, and rounded the corner. I inched my way through dark rocks, lit only by the stormy sky above. In no time, I came to a semi-dry patch of rocks, and stood in the chilly spray of Zapata Falls.



It really was awesome to see, and I'm sure that the creek would be refreshing on a hot summer day. The falls poured over the cliffs, carving them back bit by bit with each drop of rushing water. It was dark in the small canyon, reminding me of the slot canyons in the desert. Looking up, I realized that I was getting wet not just from the spray of the falls, but also the rain pouring down from the sky. I moved into the shelter of an overhang and stood back as Megan took her turn at the foot of the falls. We finished up quickly, and picked our way downstream and back onto dry land. All I could think -about was warming my feet up- I could barely feel them as they slid around in my water shoes. The trip back to the car was quick, and the best feeling in the world was turning the heat up and pointing it at our feet! Our next stop: Great Sands!


No comments:

Post a Comment