Monday, October 19, 2015

Another Check On The Bucketlist: The Manitou Incline


Worn out. I guess that's what you should feel after you climb 2000 vertical feet in under a mile. This August, while near Pike's Peak, Colorado cheering on one of my best friends as she ran the half marathon up the mountain, I took some time and completed my own challenge: The Manitou Incline. The Incline was an activity that had been on my mind for over a year, ever since researching things to do the last time I went to Pike's Peak. I was in no condition to attempt the climb last August; I had literally just had a liver biopsy done the day before I went to Colorado, and was told to take it easy or risk internal bleeding. So no Incline. This year, however, I was determined. I was going to complete the climb, come hell or high water.

2/3 the way up
The Manitou Incline was once a cable tram route up Pike's Peak, a 14,000ft mountain on Colorado's Front Range, just west of Colorado Springs. It consists of hundreds of railroad ties laid out in steps straight up the side of the mountain. There is a "bailout trail" about 2/3 the way up, for those who can't or won't finish the Incline, and a connector trail at the top for Barr Trail to take you back down the mountain on more friendly terrain. The actual Incline, however, is brutal.

I hated those stairs....
I started my climb at dawn, both eager to start and just wanting to be finished before it got hot or rainy. You never know what weather the day will hold while among the mountains. I parked, then hoofed it to the trail head along with a hundred other people, all wanting to test their mettle against one of the most strenuous hikes in the country. I had a pretty good pace going at first, where the ground only sloped upward at a gentle angle and I still could breathe. And then I began going up. Straight up.

Almost there...
The railroad tie stairs were uneven, some wide and some narrow, sometimes stacked two or three high right on top of each other. More than once, I was using my hands as well as my feet to cling to the side of the mountain because whenever I tried to stand up straight, gravity and exhaustion threatened to send me tumbling backwards down the mountain. I pressed on, stopping every twenty feet or so to attempt to catch my breath. Some of my fellow climbers had brought speakers with them, listening to whatever music they needed to get to the top. I have to admit, listening to Volbeat blasted at full volume did wonders for my energy level, and I definitely tried to keep up with that group as we worked our way up the mountain.

From the Top!!
Eventually, though, they stopped to rest and I kept going. The bailout trail was on our left, and I overheard them seriously debating skipping out as I passed. I kept going, resting frequently as I tried to regain my breath. I crested the false summit, something I had been prepared for but others weren't. People had really thought they were at the top. I pushed myself harder, knowing I really wasn't too far from my goal. I all but crawled to the top, using my hands to keep me on my feet as I refused to slow down or take a break. I knew what the large group all standing around, cheering their various buddies on meant. I was almost there! I went faster and faster, and when I finally reached the top I all but collapsed onto the nearest rock. I rested for a while, watching the relief in other's faces as they finally reached the top too. After I regained my breath, I wandered down the connector trail to the Barr Trail. Going up would take me to the summit of Pike's Peak. Down led back to the parking lot. I headed down, taking my time and enjoying the type of mountain trail that I'm used to. I was, and still am, so proud of myself for accomplishing the Incline! The Manitou Incline landed itself in my top three most difficult adventures ever, and you know what? I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The Barr Trail. Much nicer. And easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment