Monday, April 13, 2015

The Madness Within: Random Musings of a Solo Hiker


Willful. I just spent my weekend camping in the southwestern reaches of the Ouchita Mountains in Oklahoma, at McGee Creek State Park and Natural Scenic Area. Alone. I've never hiked in an area that required day hikers to have a permit for use, but once I got on the poorly maintained and hardly marked trails, it became clear why a permit was necessary. It let the rangers know who to go look for at the end of the day, because there was a fair chance of getting disoriented. I think I spoke to all of three people while I was out there, and only saw about a dozen other human beings. It was fantastic, but after a while it became apparent that I was in need of some normal human conversation, because my thoughts were pretty weird. For anyone who's ever wondered what I "do" while hiking by myself, here's a (small) sampling of what I was thinking while hiking 16.4 miles through the wild forests and canyons around the McGee Creek area:

This is a pretty trail. And kinda flat...I'm sure that won't last long.

Oooh, a stream crossing! With "conveniently" placed rocks to hop across.


That was fun!

Wow, if I keep up this pace I'll be done in no time!

First trail junction; pick the right trail so I won't get lost. Got it.

So this trail is less maintained than the one I just left. Figures.

I want a Reese's Blizzard.

Watch out for the thorns!

I have pulled so many spider webs off of me that it must be some sort of record.

Oooh, pretty flowers!


And another turn, time to hike down into the canyon. And back up again, eventually...

Damn, I need to slow down or I'm going to roll an ankle..again..

Huh, I've hiked that far already? Sweet.

I have never seen so much pollen in my life. I'm actually pretty sure I've never seen pollen before. It's the exact same color as the laces and lining of my boots. I wonder if Keen did that on purpose? They probably did. It's really a pretty color of greenish yellow, henceforth known as "pollen green". Holy cow, I am covered in pollen! I've got to take a picture... my legs are green! This is insane! I'm shocked I don't have allergy problems...


That's going to suck  hiking back up.

Finally, my destination! But I can't see much of the lake... maybe this side trail takes me to an overlook?

Uh, nope. Not doing it. I've got enough hiking up steep hills without going up this one.

I'll just sit here and rest, eat a bit and drink a lot. Then head out.

Ok, stupid fly, you're starting to piss me off.

LEAVE ME ALONE!

Ugh why do I like doing this crap? Too many bugs.

I seriously want a Reese's Blizzard right about now.

Holy crap, I'm back at the top already? That's got to be a personal best!

Back at the junction. Time for a rest.

Let's see, I can hike 3 miles back and be done in an hour and a half or so....or I can take this roundabout way and add another few miles. And hours. What time did I put down on my permit that I'd be back? I can make it by then. What the hell, let's push it!

So, where's the trail? Oh, right, the stupid little faded spray painted dots on the trees that no one can see.

I probably should have put this route as a possibility on my permit... I'm going to get lost and nobody will know where to look for me..


Well, as long as I don't get lost on this unmaintained trail, I won't regret taking the long way back...

Wow, I'm at the border already? Well at least now I can follow the fence and not get lost.

Ok, forget that. Why does the map show a straight trail along the fence when it clearly ISN'T???

I've got a nice cold Reese's Blizzard waiting for me once I get back into Texas. Pretty sure there's a DQ right across the border..

I shouldn't have left my sunglasses in the car. I thought it was supposed to be cloudy all day.

I'm going to be attacked and eaten by a mountain lion out here and nobody will ever know....

Hey, turkeys!

I wonder if I'll see any wild hogs. There are plenty of hoof prints. Or are those deer? I have no clue.

ANOTHER stream crossing??? How the hell am I supposed to get across this one? There's a log, maybe I can walk across it.

Oh shit, ok, that's a big snake. (I think I actually said that out loud.) And of course it's right on the log I want to cross.

Fuck, and it can swim. Even better.

What kind of snakes are out here that are big and black and can swim?? Oh god, is this in cottonmouth range? It's probably a cotton mouth. Screw pumas, I'm going to be bitten by a snake and die and they'll find me out here because I don't have a snakebite kit. Guess what I'm buying as soon as I get home.

Ok, calm down, it was probably just a big racer. Painful bites, but not venomous. Still would suck.

Wow, it got hot! Not expecting that.

Blizzard.....

Um, I have to hike up that?????!!!!


I'm going to die.

Ok, you've got this. You  have 20 minutes to make it to the top. And go.

................................................................


Ok.......so......freaking.......tired.........And I officially want this hike to be over.

But hey, that only took me 10 minutes! And now I get to hike downhill!

And another freaking stream crossing. I'm seriously tired of these.

Up we go again...

...................................................

...........................Reese's...............

..............Blizzard.............................................

..........................................................

Fuck! Another snake???!!! I'm flipping lucky it saw me, because I didn't see it till I almost stepped on it! Damn that was a big one.

I kinda want to see a rattlesnake. Not super close, though.

Well, now that I have to sit and stretch after rolling my damn ankle for the 10th time, I might as well enjoy some water and food.

My pack keeps getting lighter and lighter. I hope I brought enough water...I wasn't planning on going the extra six miles today....

Another down, another stream, another up, another down, another stream, another up, another down, another stream another up another down another stream another up another.....

........................................................................

At least I'll sleep well tonight.

I did get a lot of sleep last night though, for being in a new tent and sleeping in a bag and being in an empty campground. I wonder if that nice ranger ever came to check on me? (See Mom, people look out for each other!)

What time did I go to bed? It was still light out. I think maybe 7:30? God I'm lame. But not many people can say they slept 12 whole hours out in the woods. I don't think I moved all night.

I really want a Reese's Blizzard..


I hope Jared knows how awesome of a girlfriend he has.

And for that matter, I hope my parents know how awesome of a daughter they have.

It's their fault for making me love this kind of stuff in the first place.

So I have them to blame for the sunburn and bug bites and blister I have forming on the back of my heel...

Why did I decide to do this?

Is this trail ever going to end?

Wait, why does it look like there is a trail that way? The map doesn't show anything...

This map is useless.

You have got to be FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!! Another stream? More like a frickin' canyon.
(Insert a whole lot of swearing out loud to myself)

Maybe that's why the trail went the other way back there..

Yep. This must be the way across the stream.

Uhhhh....Seriously? I always knew these stupid streams would be the end for me. Good lord, I'm going to have to try to find another way across.

Ouch...those are thorns.

And so are those.

Damn it! (More loud cursing)

There is literally no other way across this damn stream.

So, what, I'm supposed to jump onto that log in the middle, and assuming I make it there, I have to jump from a log to the other bank. You've got to be joking.

Screw this.

Ok, so either I make two jumps or I take off my shoes and socks and wade across it.

I really don't want to get in that water. What if there are snakes?? I have at least two miles left to hike...

Ok, here goes nothing!

Holy shit I made it to the log.

And the fucking log moves. Seriously??!!!! I'm going to fall off and it won't matter.

Ok, ok, ok, one big leap and  you're golden.

HOLY FREAKING COW I MADE IT!!! HOW THE HELL DID I MAKE IT?????

Glad that's over!

I am going to be so sore tomorrow....


Pretty sure I pulled something in my knee. If I stop and rest I'm never going to get started again. I've got a three hour drive home, I'll rest in the car.

Why did I decide to hike 16 plus miles?

I am so freaking tired of streams and mud puddles.

I miss my desert.

Wow, my second to last trail junction! Only 1.4 miles to go!

How the hell do I have the energy to move this quickly again?

Only 0.4 miles!!!

Omg, omg, omg I see the trail head!

SWEET! I made it!! 16.4 miles!!! Mind over body, that's for sure!!! Yay!!!!!!

Ok, that was awesome. When can I go again????


What I'm listening to: The Darkest Hour by Howard Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment