Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: White Sand, As Far As You Can See


Mounds of white stretched as far as I could see, looking like a blanket of snow lay across the valley. The morning sun was shining brightly, promising to bring a hot summer's day to the desert. The white sand was pleasantly cool under my bear feet as I made a short trek from my car onto the dunes, eager to duck down below the front crest and feel like I was the only person on the planet. White Sands National Monument in New Mexico preserves the largest gypsum dune field in the states, and for good reason. The dunes aren't incredibly tall, but the sparkling white sands are amazing to see. I didn't get to spend much time among this geological wonder, but did drive the whole road through a small part of the dune field, and got my toes into the sand as soon as I found a parking lot that didn't have any cars in it. Some day, I want to backpack through these dunes, spend a night among them and witness a sunrise while nestled between two crests.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you'd spend the night tucked away from it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment