Thursday, December 31, 2015

The "Happy" Jar of 2015


Inspired. That's right, I kept it up! In 2014 I started a "happy" jar, where I wrote down the things that made me happy on little colored sticky notes and put them into a clear glass jar for an entire year. This year, I did the exact same thing. I knew this year was going to be amazing before it even really got started, mostly because on New Year's Eve last year I decided I would be moving to Texas to be with Jared and (at the risk of sounding cliche) to start a new chapter in my life. Well, it worked. I've never been happier, and my happy jar this year reflects that; it contains significantly more little slips of paper than last year's jar!


While going through all of my happiest moments, something stood out to me, practically shouting for my attention: the majority of my notes were either about my travels, or about Jared. You don't have to be a psychology major to deduce that the two greatest sources of my happiness are adventuring and my boyfriend, and I wouldn't have it any other way.


Adventuring is what I do, as I've written about several times and filled my Facebook and Instagram profiles full of pictures and stories about my travels. It's become who I am, and I'm always looking for my next trip (my to-do list of adventures is extensive). Now, I wouldn't be living the life I love so much without Jared. I'm not going to get all sappy, but I can't imagine being without Jared. He's the reason I come home from every single one of my adventures. While adventuring and Jared make up the majority of my jar, they're not my only sources of happiness. My job, friends and family featured prominently, and animals showed up a lot as well. Below I've higlighted several of my favorite memories, but remember, this is just a very small sample of the happiness in my life. 2016, you have a lot to live up to.


It doesn't get much better than arriving at your new house in your new state, seeing your boyfriend for the first time in months, and knowing that you're home.


Jared got me a hedgehog for my birthday! I've loved hedgies ever since elementary school, and I've always wanted one. Jared's present was a "happy birthday/welcome home" gift to me!


I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jared is the reason I come home after I'm done adventuring. My pets are just as important to me as well. It doesn't matter if I'm gone for a day or for a week, I love coming home to my family. 


I love travelling, I really love travelling solo, but I love travelling even more when Jared is with me. We got to take a weekend to ourselves, which we spent relaxing, seeing animals, and enjoying each other's company in the big city.


I was so excited about seeing a sow and cub in the wild that I nearly cried. I was certainly shaking, and it took me a long time to calm down. I'm going to have a hard time topping that experience...


Again with the whole travelling-with-Jared thing, but this time we were able to watch my little brother graduate from basic training, as well as spend a weekend with my brother, mom, dad and aunt. Proud big sister right here.


In October Jared and I took a baby squirrel to rehab her. She was incredibly tiny and covered in scabs, so we weren't sure she would survive. I was out of town on the day she opened her right eye, but Jared called me and I heard the excitement in his voice. She waited until I got home to open her left eye!


Not all wineries ship to all 50 states, but in a moment of weakness when I was missing my favorite wines from Nebraska, Colorado, California and other parts of Texas, I discovered they all ship to my place of residence!!! Hello, full wine rack. And fridge. And counters. 


For the third time this year I broke my hiking distance record. Three times in one year. If that's how 2016 is going to go, BRING IT!


And on the note of hiking, I got the backpack I've been coveting for over a year. I had been using a day pack, and I will still use it (frequently), but now I can take overnight backpacking trips as well. A whole new world of hiking/camping-related activities just opened up at my feet. Or rather, on my back. Speaking of which, I'm setting off on a brand new adventure on the first of the year, and I'm either going to rock it, or fail miserably. Ten days in the high desert. In the middle of winter. Tent camping and hiking. Alone. Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment