Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Third Annual Father-Daughter (and Jared!) Trip


Appeased. It's not very often that I get to go on a trip with my family any more, and with Jared's job it's difficult to get time off together to go anywhere, but somehow we managed to get my sister, dad, Jared and I off of work at the same time and actually went somewhere together. Dad and Lisha came down from Nebraska and picked Jared and I up with the intention of visiting Houston, NASA, and the Gulf Coast. Unfortunately, Houston was pretty much under water at the time due to heavy rains and we had to make alternate plans, so we chose to go to San Antonio for a long weekend instead. Everyone in my family has been to the Riverwalk through downtown San Antonio, but Jared hasn't, so we made the executive decision to spend the majority of our time below street level (and not having to drive) while there.

Me, my sister and our dad
Our trip south started with a five hour drive, which actually went smoothly. We made a side trip to Longhorn Cavern State Park, the cave that I visited by myself in February but wanted to share with my family. Making that side trip marked the first time I'd visited a cave with Jared, and the first time in a long while since I'd been in a cave with my family, so I was very excited! I made a beginner mistake, though, and wore a dress on a cave tour. To be fair, my sister wore something similar as well, but I've never worn anything other than hiking clothes and good shoes into a cave and I felt stupid wearing a sun dress and flip flops. Let me tell you though, I was definitely a lot more careful about where I put my feet!

Dad, Jared and my sister head into the cave
We finished the drive to San Antonio once finished with our cave tour and after checking in to the hotel we made the short walk to the river. I've written about the Riverwalk before, here and here, but this time around was a lot of fun just because I got to take Jared around and eat/drink/shop with him! Our trip coincided with the last weekend of Fiesta, just like last year when I visited Julia and Mark, so we got in some good vendor shopping as well. (Side note: the stone called Larimar is GORGEOUS; Jared bought me a larimar ring and I love it!!)

The Alamo
Now, in all of the times I've visited San Antonio I've never been able to visit The Alamo. For one reason or another it's either been closed or I didn't have the time to make the stop. This time, though, we all wanted to go, so made the two-block walk shortly after it opened and entered a sort of oasis in the middle of the city. Within the stone walls the courtyard was full of gardens. Giant oak trees spread their shade over the throngs of people on the paths that wound between flowerbeds overflowing with tropical plants. The stark white stones of the mission and outbuildings shone in the morning sun, and popped among the greenery that surrounded them. We went through each building slowly, learning the history that goes much deeper than "Remember The Alamo." It was definitely a humbling experience, and one I will never forget.


Our trip to San Antonio was fun, and in true Father-Daughter trip fashion had elements of history in it. This ended up being our third Father-Daughter trip, and having Jared there made everything just that much better. He sure knows how to get everyone laughing! I can't wait for our next Father-Daughter trip; I wonder where we'll end up next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment