Sunday, July 17, 2016

My Top Five Favorite Places in the United States

By now, you've probably gathered that I travel. A lot. Every chance I get. So it's only natural for me to have a few favorite places, right? After a lot of reflection I've listed out my top five favorite places in the States, places I find myself thinking about a lot, or else returning to time and time again. Please note: This list is a work in progress. I will update it as I visit more and more places that I come to love!

Chesler Park/The Joints, Needles District Canyonlands National Park, UT


This list wouldn't be complete without Chesler Park/The Joints trail. Red and white rock spires completely surrounding a meadow of sagebrush and grasses, and not a living creature in sight, except the occasional bird wheeling in the sky above. What's not to love? Next time I go back I'll be camping among those spires. Read about my last trip here.

Grand View Point, Island in the Sky District Canyonlands National Park, UT


I could sit up on the cliff overlooking those canyons for hours and never get bored. Just a short walk down the trail away from the often crowded viewpoint affords you peace and quiet and astounding views, all to yourself. Be up there before sunrise or stay until after sunset to see the canyons burn and the sky light up with gold. If you look closely at the photo you'll see a faint line tracing the outline of the canyon near the white rim. That road is over 100 miles long, and I would absolutely love to drive it and camp down there a few nights. Once I get my jeep, I will! To read more about this location hit the "Canyonlands National Park" link in the word cloud to the left of this post.

Brown’s Canyon National Monument, CO


The newly designated national monument used to just be a recreation area, mostly for thrill-seekers wanting to run the world-class white water rapids in rafts or kayaks. I've visited this canyon numerous times, alway within a raft, but only this last year did I run through it as a national monument, and I got even more of a kick knowing this piece of river will always be protected. The new status is very well deserved! Read my report on the latest rafting adventure here.

Medano Creek, Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, CO


I challenge you to find me a better place that combines sand, water and mountains with a deliciously comfortable climate. I bet you can't. Medano Creek is seasonal, meaning it only flows until all of the snow is melted from the mountains that it springs from, but while it lasts the water runs clear and cool. This life-giving water is what makes life around the dunes possible, and is what helps keep the dunefield itself stable. I've lost track of how many times I've had the pleasure of visiting this park, but I never tire of it. I was just at this park but haven't had a chance to write up my time there, so until then read this post about my last visit!


Upper Virgin River/Zion Canyon, Zion National Park, UT


This park is one of the most visited parks in the States, and for very good reason. The Zion river cut a deep, winding canyon right into the slickrock country surrounding it, and continues to carve away at the rocks as it makes its way out. From above the waters of the river appear to be the most peculiar color of blue, and are cool to the touch if you decide to go wading. The Narrows, an easy up-river walk or a difficult canyoneering trip down-river, are a popular destination for almost every person who visits the canyon. Visit during the off season (say, January) and you'll get the entire park almost to yourself. I've visited several times, and I think winter in the park is my favorite, although I do love refreshing myself in the river after a day in the dry desert heat. Hit this link to check out my latest adventure on the Zion River.

It really should be no suprise to anyone that locations in Utah and Colorado feature on this list. Even though I am currently located in East Texas, some day I WILL move to Colorado, if nothing else just to be closer to the places that have such a hold on my heart. I'm not there yet, but I will be. But for sure when we retire!

Have I convinced you to visit any of these amazing locations yet? If my numerous blog posts about them haven't convinced you, would the promise of me meeting you there do so instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment