Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Hidden Waterfalls in the Ouichita Mountains


Back in March I spent some time exploring the Ouichita Mountains in central Arkansas, which happened to only be about a four hour drive from my house. I always research before my trips, and when I was planning this one I discovered pictures and descriptions of a hidden, off the beaten track place called Little Missouri Falls, not too far down a forest service road close to the Oklahoma border. I knew I needed to find this place and see it for myself! I turned off a (fantastic) mountain highway onto an equally fantastic forest road and bounced my way along, staring out the windows at the forest just beginning to wake up after winter. I was so busy staring that I drove right past the falls, but as I passed I noticed the pull out and turned around. I'm glad I did! The falls were taller than I expected, with a good flow of water cascading over the gray slate mountainside. The pool at the base was icy cold and clear, with a sandy bottom that I'm sure makes a great swimming hole during the heat of the summer. At the time, however, it was partly cloudy and only in the upper 40's, so I had no intention of taking a dip. Maybe someday I'll go back and camp during the summer. You won't be able to keep me out of there if I do!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you knew about Little Missouri Falls, or did I just let you in on the secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment