Thursday, March 28, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Get The Shot


Time for another confession: the whole reason I went to Tucson in February was because I want to put photos of saguaro cacti in my kitchen (subtly desert-themed), and instead of buying prints from someone I'd rather just take the pictures myself. Which is why I headed south in a roundabout way after leaving Littlefield, AZ and the Grandmaster Ultras race I volunteered at, trying my best to get to Saguaro National Park and an abundance of Saguaro cacti. I didn't begin seeing saguaros until I passed a rest area called "Sunset Point" on the interstate, after which the road dropped drastically in elevation and giant cacti started to pop out of the hills. I wanted to make it to the park that night, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to begin taking photos. You should have seen me, leaving the interstate every few exits, driving around dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, Arizona, taking pictures of cacti. Even as the sun set and I was an hour or more away from my destination, I was still on the side of some dirt road somewhere southeast of Phoenix, crouching down to get a silhouette of cacti against the sunset. I now have over a hundred photos of saguaro cacti, and yes, I got the ones I wanted for my kitchen!

Leave me a comment below and tell me about a time you did whatever it took (safely!) to get a picture you wanted. I want to hear some fun stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment