Tuesday, March 19, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: California Condors


I SAW CONDORS!! Do you have any idea how excited I was (and still am!) to have the chance to see these incredible, highly endangered birds? I mean, I'm a bird nerd, alright?? I had pulled over at an overlook right on the Colorado River south of the Utah/Arizona border, meaning to get out and look at the river. There happened to be a few Native Americans selling jewelry and trinkets set up in the lot, and I took the time to browse through their goods. I got to chatting with a couple ladies when one of them suddenly points over my head and said "oh look, condors" like it was no big deal. I got way too excited and ran back to my car to get my telephoto lens, but by the time I returned they had perched on a cliff just a little too far out of my lens range. I hung around for an hour (no, I'm not kidding) waiting to see if they would fly. They did, but in the wrong direction! I'd wanted them to fly over me, or at least a little closer, but they took off down canyon and I didn't get my shot. That's okay though, I'm already planning my return trip next year. Maybe I'll be in the right place at the right time to see these amazing birds again. And I walked away this year with a few pictures and and a pretty little kokopelli necklace, so I really can't complain.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever seen a California Condor!

No comments:

Post a Comment