Tuesday, March 5, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: A Stretch, Even For Me


I am fully aware that I do some rather unconventional things, especially when it comes to traveling, and I typically don't bat an eye. In this particular instance, though, even I couldn't help but think that I was being more than a little crazy. It was snowing, as it had been off and on after I crossed central New Mexico on my way to Nevada to meet up with Torrey and volunteer at the Grandmaster Ultras race this February. I was driving down some back highway just west of the Arizona/New Mexico border, going way slower than the speed limit due to icy roads and gusty winds, when I couldn't help but notice the ground essentially fall away from both shoulders of the road. I realized I was driving on a ridge surrounded by canyonlands and badlands shrouded in mists and snow as far as the horizon, and it wasn't long before I was looking for a place to pull over. I was slammed by the wind as soon as I popped out of my car, running over to the side with the best view as I brought my camera up to my face with shivering limbs. I know I looked like an idiot, standing in below freezing temperatures on the side of the road with snow whipping around me in gusts that rose up one side of the ridge and descended the other, shivering as I tried to take pictures. One nice guy even stopped to make sure I was alright, and when I explained I was taking pictures (in the snow storm) he just slowly nodded and continued on his way, no doubt shaking his head at my antics. I have no excuse except to say what did you expect? It's me, after all.

Leave me a comment and tell me if you've ever done something like stop on the side of a road in the middle of nowhere just to take a picture in a snow storm. Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment