Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Shooting the Moon


As I get more comfortable with my camera I spend more time taking pictures of things I'm less practiced with. Astrophotography, for example. I have very little idea what I'm doing when it comes to taking pictures of the moon and stars, but hey, no time like the present to figure it out. I spent some time during both nights in the desert while volunteering at an aid station for the Grandmaster Ultras in February, trying my hand at shooting the crescent moon. The skies were far too bright, from Saint George, from Mesquite, from Las Vegas, to shoot anything other than the moon, but that was fine with me. The moon itself wasn't bright enough to cast shadows, and paled in comparison to the light pollution in multiple directions, but that didn't stop me from hooking my camera onto my tripod and attempting a few photos. All said and done I'm happy with my attempts, though I know I need a better camera and a better lens to get the clear, close photos of Earth's lunar companion. Someday I'll get there.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever attempted photographing the moon. How'd it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment