Thursday, March 21, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Marble Canyon


No, it's not really made of marble, but the canyon carved through rust-red sandstone by the Colorado River as it makes its way toward the Grand Canyon might as well be. Or, at least the water in the river might be made of green marble for all its swirls and eddies. I stopped at an overlook as I crossed the Colorado River for the last time during my trip to the Southwest in February, and couldn't help but stare down at the absolutely green waters of the river far below. I mean, I've seen blue rivers, red rivers, brown rivers, but this green was something new. With all the silt churning in it, the waters really kind of did look like marble. I would absolutely love to get the chance to raft that river someday; someday I'll make it happen. For now, I'll content myself with admiring from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment