Sunday, April 14, 2019

Saguaro


Admiring. There really is nothing quite like waking up surrounded by giant cacti. Even if the temperatures hovered around freezing, even if I slept in my car on the side of the road because I arrived too late to get a campsite and I was not about to drive any further in the dark, even if I barely slept due to a combination of chill and worry. When dawn began to light up the sky and the silhouettes of cacti arms solidified out of the frosty air, there was nowhere else I would have rather been. My visit to Saguaro National Park in southern Arizona was the result of my stubborn streak: I want pictures of saguaro cacti for the walls in my kitchen, and I would much rather take the photos myself than buy someone else's. So I made a trip out of it this winter when I was already in Arizona helping with the Grandmaster Ultras, taking off on my own for a few more days of desert bliss once the race was finished.


I had a few hours to kill between dawn and the park's visitor center opening, but I made good use of my time. I have well over a hundred photos of saguaro cacti to take my pick from for printing and hanging, and to be honest I'm not sure how I'll decide. I was able to take Hoodoo with me on the park's pet-friendly nature trail, where we explored the desert flora and watched a couple of coyotes from a distance.


I also drove the park's scenic loop, stopping at a short trail to some petroglyphs where I left Hoodoo in the car while I explored. (Don't worry, I would never do that if it were hot out! As it was winter, he was safe and comfortable in the car.) It was pretty neat to walk among the cactus forest, even if it was only for a short hike.


Saguaro is actually divided into two parts, East and West, so once the visitor center opened and I purchased my customary magnet and park patch I headed over to the other side of Tucson to visit the second unit. I stopped at the visitor center despite already having my souvenirs, thinking I might as well. Then I hit the park road loop, driving the cactus forest and day dreaming about hiking.


I spent the vast majority of my time taking pictures of cacti, which of course is the draw to the park, but the next time I visit I won't bring Hoodoo with me and plan on hitting the trails for as long as possible. I traced some amazing trails that I would love to backpack someday, really getting to know the park and everything it has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment