Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Code Red


Torrey and I had already had several very full days at Rocky Mountain National Park, and we were wrapping up our final evening by searching for one of my "code red" animals, a moose. Most people have a list of animals they would love to see out in the wild, a life-list if you will, and I have oh-so-cleverly called my list a "code red list." If myself or my companion see one of my code red animals, all they have to do is say the words and I dive for my camera (within safety's limits, of course). Bears and wolves, mountain lions and alligators are on my code red list, and so are moose. I don't get to see moose nearly often enough to just drive by with out getting excited, so whenever I get the chance to see one and take pictures of it, I jump. We had stopped at a little pond, set back a short distance from the road, and walked quietly down the trail hoping beyond hope that we would get lucky and see a moose wading in the shallows. We didn't get lucky, though we did spook a photographer who was watching a mother woodpecker teach her baby how to drill for worms. She told us just the other day a friend of hers had photographed a moose in the pond, but she hadn't seen one since. We chatted for a bit then left her to her birds and went on our way. Not even a few miles up the road we actually sighted a moose, running along the road before crossing in front of us and high-tailing it to another lake, though it was moving so fast I didn't manage to get a good shot of it in the fading light. Still, code red! And it was awesome.

Leave me a comment below and tell me what animals are on your code red list?

No comments:

Post a Comment