Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: The Perks of Rising Early


Everyone who knows me knows I'm a morning person. I will happily be up at the crack of dawn, or before, to start an adventure, and am often found to have set my alarm at unspeakable times just to be the first person on a trail. While I think this mentality pays off every time, night owls tend to disagree with me. On my recent adventure in the mountains, however, being the first ones on the trail definitely had its rewards. This is Alberta Falls in Rocky Mountain National Park, and seeing it completely devoid of other hikers is nearly unheard of (unless you go in the middle of winter, when all you'll see is a snowed-under block of ice.) This August, at the height of tourist season, my friend and I were the first ones on a trail that would take us far into the backcountry, but we had to pass through tourist-heavy trails first. Hiking those trails before most people were even awake assured us a solitary hike, and we got the falls all to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment