Thursday, October 27, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: In Someone Else's Coat


You all know by now that I'm essentially a tree-hugging, Leave No Trace advocate who refuses to allow an animal to be harmed, although I do see the need for hunting of certain species to control populations and have nothing against those who partake, unless they only hunt "for sport" and don't eat or make use of the animal they hunt, in which case I have my own opinions regarding the morals of people like that. Anyway, even though I generally don't wear furs or skins of animals, when I had the chance to try on a $5000 coat made out of bison pelts while surrounded by the buildings of a historic dude ranch located in Rocky Mountain National Park this summer, I jumped at the opportunity. My imagination went into overdrive, and I thought about way back when, before the park was established, those homesteaders who carved a life out of the high mountain meadows and braved the harsh, long winters. They probably wore coats like this, especially those who had to work outside every day caring for cattle, horses, and the other duties of a ranch. I don't know that that would have been the life for me. Of course, on a hot summer's day the coat was sweltering and I was only in it long enough to have Torrey snap a picture of me, but trying it on was something I'm glad I did. It was a good way to put myself in the shoes (and coat) of those who came before.

Leave me a comment below and tell me about an item of clothing that made you think about the history and stories of those who wore it before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment