Sunday, September 18, 2016

My Top Five Favorite Hikes

Exploring this amazing country has become a life goal of mine, and it's one that I'm not putting off till later. I travel far and wide, as often as physically possible, and make plans to get outside every weekend. I love traveling by car and happily drive nearly everywhere I travel to, but if I really want to get to know a place I explore it by foot. Hiking is more than just a hobby of mine; it's become a lifestyle that leads me from the ocean beach to the mountain top and every prairie, forest, and desert between. I've tried to get a comprehensive list of my favorite hikes together before, but I travel to so many new places that the list constantly changed. I've finally put words and pictures to my top five hikes as of my latest adventure, but please keep in mind that this list changes constantly. Read on below to discover the best places to take a hike!

Hidden Canyon, Zion National Park, Utah


First things first, this hike is NOT for those with even a minor fear of heights. The trail starts climbing right away, up from the bottom of Zion Canyon along countless switchbacks until it curves around and takes you out of sight of the trailhead parking lot. From then it gets really interesting. I hiked this route in the middle of winter, the first week of January, and only got partway through before I decided it was too dangerous to continue. I really didn't want to fall off a cliff, and that was a real possibility if I'd kept going. As far as I went, I encountered countless steps, tight places, and seriously exposed trail no wider than a sidewalk with a two hundred foot drop off on one side and a towering rock wall with a chain bolted to it for a handhold. (NOTE: This hike was closed for construction as of Summer 2016. Please check with the park for current trail closures.)

Chesler Park/The Joints, Canyonlands National Park, Utah


I've written about this hike here, but it is worth repeating how spectacular it is. If you've a mind to wander through a grassy meadow surrounded by red and white spires, then check out a network of slot-like canyons where you sometimes have to squeeze in sideways against cool sandstone walls, then this hike is for you. Also, bonus points for only having one way in and one way out: can't get lost! If you're up for a long (long) desert hike, make the time to hike here.

Mills Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado


I've had the pleasure of hiking to this lake in spring and during winter, and I'm going to have to say I like the wintertime hike better! There's nothing like mountain lakes frozen over, snow blowing with gusts of wind against the dark evergreens. Of course, spring has its merits too: warmer temperatures, bluebird skies and little fishies in the lakes. Read about my two hikes to this gorgeous lake here and here.

Mount Le Conte via Rainbow Falls, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee


Although I didn't feel it at the time, the hike up Mount Le Conte has become one of my favorite hikes (and it isn't located in Utah or Colorado!) strictly due to how gorgeous it is. Seriously, old growth forests crowd the well-worn path in Lord-of-the-Rings-esque views while little salamanders scurry away from your boots among the leaf litter. This hike is long, it rains a lot, gains quite a bit of elevation, and is located smack-dab in the middle of a heavily bear-populated park, so make sure you are prepared before you attempt it. It's a good idea to always carry bear spray and bells while you hike.

Sand Dunes, Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, Colorado 


Can this picture just speak for itself? Featuring North America's tallest sand dunes, mountain ranges that boast '14ers, moody weather, and an abundance of desert, prairie, and mountain wildlife, hiking anywhere into the 30 square mile dune field needs to be on everyone's bucketlist. Make sure you hike to the summit of High Dune, the tallest dune of the front line of the dunes and the most easily accessible dune from the visitor's center, and take a meander up or down Medano Creek to cool off. Just make sure you get off the dunes when the storms blow in, you don't want to be the tallest object out there when lightning starts making contact with the ground.

As you can see, these hikes have thrill and adventure in common, and it should be no surprise that they are located within national parks (and that Colorado and Utah are featured!). Some take you along exposed ledges or into confined spaces, others have altitude as a factor, and most have extreme temperatures to take into account. They are not hikes that you take on a whim, but plan and prepare for before setting out. Don't let that stop you though! Please, do your research, find a hike that excites you for it's destination, it's track, or it's solitude, and get out there. What are your favorite hikes? What should I hike next?

No comments:

Post a Comment