Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: That Was Too Close


Torrey and I were on our way back from an epic hike, trudging along through a light shower exhausted but exhilarated, when we and a small group of other hikers stumbled into a nursery herd of elk along the trail. Pretty much out of nowhere, we were surrounded by the creatures. We all stopped, probably a little closer to them than we should have been, cooing over the babies in the herd and snapping photos until one of the babies let out a cry that caused several of the female elk who were laying down to jump to their feet. We scattered, some of us running down or back up the trail, others (myself included) ducking behind trees, keen on putting distance or something solid between us and a potentially upset mother. The females eyed us, then must have decided we weren't a threat and went back to grazing, but all of us had had enough; we didn't want to push our luck. We left them to it.

Leave me a comment below and tell me about a time you've had a close call with a mother animal. Don't tell me I'm the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment