Thursday, August 31, 2017

A Snapshot and the Scoop: Sharing with Tadpoles


Whenever you backpack long enough to need to filter water, you just have to assume you'll be sharing your drinking water with something else. On our trip in the Grand Canyon Alisha and I had concrete proof that we were not the only ones using the water in the few streams we crossed . . . we were sharing it with a million tadpoles! Spring anywhere will bring the frogs and toads out of hibernation and to the water's edge to lay their eggs, and with enough time and the right conditions tadpoles hatch out and some of them grow up to be new frogs and toads. Well, every single stream that had any amount of water in it that my sister and I crossed while inside the canyon had tadpoles in it, which naturally meant we would be filtering our water in a space shared with tadpoles. We were extra careful not to suck up tadpoles into the filter, but it was fun and kind of cute to watch them wiggle around in their shallow environments. The certainly kept us entertained while we filtered!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you ever caught tadpoles as a kid. Was it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment