Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Filtering Water


If you travel enough with me at one point or another I'm going to talk you into going on some crazy backpacking trip, and we're going to have to filter water. It's one of those chores of backpacking that is absolutely essential, but nobody wants to do it. My sister and I had to filter our water while on our backpacking adventure across the Grand Canyon, and we both learned a lot along the way. There are a multitude of different filtering systems available, but for our purposes a simple squeeze filter worked perfectly; all we had to do was fill the filter pouch up with water, attach the filter, and squeeze the clean water into our bottles and packs. We found out the hardest part of filtering was getting water into the pouch, and eventually figured out it is easier if you have running water that you can direct into the opening on the pouch instead of a pool of stationary water. The pouch, because you have to be able to squeeze it, lays flat when empty so getting water into a flat space proved difficult. We made it work in the end, and my sister became a pro at filtering water while I got the tent site ready and organized for our stay, or else packed up so we could get on our way. I'm sure that trip won't be the last time I use the filter!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever had to filter your water before. Why? Were you backpacking, or were you in a place that didn't have safe drinking water?

No comments:

Post a Comment