Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Lighthouse


Glad. You know when a sign at the trailhead says to not start the hike if the temperature is over 85 degrees F, accompanied by a giant thermometer, that the hike you're about to start on is no joke. Of course, 87 degrees F is only 2 degrees more than the suggested cutoff, and it was still only early April in West Texas, so I figured I would be good to start anyway. The entire hike to the Lighthouse formation at Palo Duro Canyon State Park is completely exposed, and I could totally see why they recommened against going if it was too hot. There is zero relief from the sun. Callie and I started mid-afternoon underneath the beating sun, but I saw respite on the horizon in the form of low grey clouds.

Callie explores a small off-trail wash
We weren't in any hurry to get anywhere, though the trail sign warned us to allow for several hours round-trip on the hike. We stopped often, allowing time for plenty of picture-taking for me and plant-sniffing for Callie. We found a few washouts that we wandered up, away from the main trail, where I let Callie off-leash explore for a bit before leashing back up and continuing on. We hadn't gone too far though before we were stopped by a couple of ladies coming back down the trail, warning me of a rattlesnake directly on the trail right around the next corner. My worst fear when taking my dog hiking or camping with me is something happening to her, such as a snake bite, and me not being able to do anything about it. With that in mind, I picked Callie up and proceeded cautiously up the trail, listening for the tell-tale rattle. I never saw the snake, but it was a while before I put my dog down again.

Thank goodness for clouds!
The clouds finally moved in and covered the face of the sun, bringing with them a strong breeze and a drastic drop in temperature, making me wish for the jacket I'd left on the passenger seat of my car. Callie and I kept going, though, passing other hikers and lots of other dogs who were (surprisingly) mostly well behaved. We arrived at the last bit, and the steepest climb, of the trail before I expected to, and after a few tries at scrambling with Callie attached to my wrist I gave up and let her off leash. She is better than me at picking the easiest way up, so I followed her lead as she rock-hopped up the scramble. Every few steps she'd stop and look down at me, and I could see in her eyes that she was telling me to hurry up!

The Lighthouse itself
Eventually we reached the top of the scramble, and found ourselves facing the giant hoodoo named The Lighthouse. There were people (and dogs) everywhere, climbing all over the twin hoodoos and small cliff faces, resting and gearing up for the hike back to the parking lot. We really didn't stay too long, just enough to get pictures of ourselves and The Lighthouse, before the wind and threatening rain drove us off of the high places and back down to the shelter of lower ground. The hike back with the wind was easy, and in no time I was digging my car keys out of my pack. Callie, in her usual post-hike mood, flopped over on the seat next to me and immediately passed out. She had no idea how much more hiking we had yet to do.

The view down the trail from The Lighthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment