Sunday, April 28, 2019

Happy First Birthday, Hoodoo!


Celebratory. Look, I'm not gonna lie, this post is mostly (read: entirely) me bragging about my cat again. It's his first birthday, and he deserves to be celebrated! Because for real, I have a cat that not only tolerates travel, but actually enjoys it. I have a cat who jumps into the car, who meows until we can go hiking, who chills on my shoulders when he doesn't want to walk. Hoodoo waits patiently for me to put his harness on and snuggles up in sleeping bags while tucked into a nylon cave. He also parties most nights at 2am unless I wear him out on a few miles of trail, but he's always ready to go the next day.


While I can't say he enjoys getting wet, he doesn't mind it in the way most cats I know do. He's down for some snow play and handles rain like a champ, and even delicately crosses streams that are in his path. He was a boss while climbing mountains at just a few months old, he showed off in the desert, and he handled getting frozen into our tent during a snow shower by purring next to my belly in our tent. He had no fear while exploring rivers and forests, and it seems his only two dislikes on the planet are wind and strange dogs.


This is a cat who crawls onto everybody's lap, who purrs and chatters constantly, who makes himself at home no matter what far-flung place I take him to. He's happy sleeping on my lap for 12 hour car rides, or playing in the dirt at our campsite as we settle in for the night. He's already visited eleven states and seven national park units, spending long hours and thousands of miles in a car. He has his spots in the house and the car and the tent claimed for himself, but plays it cool if you displace him. I've never met a cat like my little orange adventure kitten, and I probably never will again.
My kitten turns one year old, and I can't wait for many more years full of adventures and cuddles.
Happy Birthday Hoodoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment