Sunday, April 21, 2019

Nationals Parks Week 2019


Well-Traveled. It's National Parks Week, which means there are fee-free days at the parks! In celebration, I've shared pictures of each of the parks and monuments I visited over the last year, along with a little bit about each park. Hopefully they inspire you to visit your local park unit - I'm willing to bet there's one close to you!

Agate Fossil Beds National Monument - Nebraska

This monument tucked way at the western border of Nebraska is often overlooked, which resulted in my dad and I having the place to ourselves during a late winter visit last year. We saw the quarry sites of fossils, fossils in their museum, and took a walk through the sand hills. What a pretty park!

Arches National Park - Utah

Once again, I visited Arches!  This time around my sister and I hiked up to Delicate Arch to catch the sunset. We didn't get to see the arch glow, but we did get some awesome storms in the distance!

Bandelier National Monument - New Mexico

Continuing in the desert southwest my sister and I stopped at Bandelier to see the cliff dwellings and ancient ruins spread out along the Rio Grande canyon floor. I've never seen cliffs with so many holes in them like the ones lining the canyon - they're made of volcanic ash substance and are chalky to the touch, making it ideal for excavating living spaces.

Canyonlands National Park - Utah

It's not a trip to southern Utah without a stop at Canyonlands. This view truly never gets old.

Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve - Idaho

Considered part of the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, Craters of the Moon looks far more like its namesake than a monument located in the arid interior of Idaho. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in the park, but we did manage to get into some lava tubes!

Grand Teton National Park - Wyoming

Last summer I had the opportunity to backpack a couple of nights in the Teton mountain range, and let me tell you it did not disappoint. While we couldn't hike a full loop as we originally intended due to high avalanche danger in the back country (IN JULY) we still managed to spend two nights miles away from civilization. I really, really want to go back!

Montezuma Castle National Monument - Arizona

Just off the interstate in central Arizona sits a small national monument that hides a secret: a castle! This cliff dwelling built within an alcove along a small canyon is just one of a few ruins scattered along the creek, and I got to see several up close on the path. Bonus points because I was able to bring my cat!

Rocky Mountain National Park - Colorado

Of course I went to Rocky last summer! We only spent a night in this park and didn't hike any trails because I had Hoodoo with me, but the drive through the park alone is worth a visit.

Saguaro National Park - Arizona

Guess who was able to get a sunset and a sunrise among giant cacti! This girl!! For real though, I have always loved cacti and getting to visit these giants was something that I was determined to do with adult eyes. We visited as a family once a long time ago, but now I might have to make a trip to Tucson a little more often.

Scotts Bluff National Monument - Nebraska

While out in western Nebraska last winter my dad and I stopped at Scotts Bluff. Considered the gateway country to the more rugged areas west of here, Scotts Bluff mixes prairie with badlands, wide open skies, and big views.

White Sands National Monument - New Mexico

I've been trying to get out to this park off and on for years, ever since I moved to Texas. This time I managed to pass through right as the sun was about to set, so you bet your ass I booked it to the top of the closest pure white dune to get a few pictures. Also, Hoodoo got to play in the sand, so fun was had by all.

Yellowstone National Park - Wyoming/Montana

Yet another park that we could spend months exploring and still see new things, Alisha and I spent a full day and night here, catching the sunset over Grand Prismatic Spring and the sunrise over Old Faithful. Geothermal features are unique and amazing, and I know we only saw the bare minimum we could from the road. Next time we'll hike, and maybe see some wolves!

Zion National Park - Utah

Visited this park during the winter once again, and still have no complaint! I love visiting parks during their "off" season, when there are fewer visitors and you might get opportunities not otherwise available if you visit with everyone else. Here, a rare photo of the park roads devoid of vehicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment