Sunday, April 2, 2017

An Unnecessarily Loaded Pack



Tenacious. I need to train, I need to train, I need to train . . . The mantra going through my head as I put one foot in front of the other, bowing slightly under the unnecessary fully loaded backpack while walking unnecessary miles to my campsite for the night didn't make me feel better, but it kept me going. Callie and I had escaped to the Texas Hill Country in the middle of March, spring in Central Texas, and had spent the day getting to know South Llano River State Park. We had geared up for a backpacking trip, walking just over a mile and a half to the primitive camping sites in the middle of the park.


At least, it would have only been a mile and a half if I hadn't taken the scenic route. My reasoning had multiple purposes: see as much of the park as possible in the limited time available, take everything with because the trail loops around past the campsite, and besides, I really do need to train. I have a major backpacking trip coming up in May and it's gonna kick my ass if I don't get used to carrying a loaded pack. So, I need to train, I need to train, I need to train.


Really though, the hike was awesome. Hill Country is gorgeous, and with the spring wildflowers in bloom against the green grass and trees, it's perfect. Callie and I followed the trail around the base of the closest hill, then straightened out as the trail dove through a small canyon lined with oak trees. The trail climbed steeply once, taking us out of the canyon and spitting us out on a hilltop. There was zero shade up there, so I made Callie and I put one foot in front of the other to the rhythm of my mantra, puncturing each word with a step.


Callie was hot and tired, and I was trying not to be. Callie has figured out she can walk in my shadow and therefore be in constant shade, so she migrated around me with my shadow as the trail twisted adn turned. I wished I was as small as her. Finally the trail descended from the hilltop and we found shade and relief at the bottom in another canyon filled with trees. We caught the next leg of trail to our campsite, and I was stepping lighter knowing our walk was about to end for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment