Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Peek into Planning: What Does It Take To Adventure?


Musing. I've been sitting down to plan quite a few adventures lately, and it got me thinking: I don't think I've ever described my planning process. What it takes to get from an adventure idea to an adventure in reality. I don't just wake up one day and decide to go hike a mountain, though occasionally I do wake up and decide to go for a drive. No, my travels take planning, at least a little bit, and I've found that the more detailed the plan is the happier I am. I guess you could call me Type A, huh?


The first thing that has to happen to make an adventure a reality is figuring out how much time I have. Do I have 36 hours, or do I have nine days? That question is dependent on my own time-off allowance at work, my companion's availability (if any), and forethought into other travels during the year. This year, for example, I will be going on four long trips (already planning ahead!!) so any other traveling I plan will have to be kept short. In past years I've broken trips up a little more, but that's how it worked out for what I want to do this year. Which leads me to my next point...


While deciding how much time I have, I have to figure out where I want to go. I generally reference my own personal limit: if it's a day trip, no more than four hours drive time one-way. If it's a two day trip, no more than eight hours one-way. Three days is twelve hours one-way, and anything more than twelve hours away I'd like a full week, or it's just not worth it. I have lists, Pintrest boards, emails, and magazines full of places I want to visit, so it's really a matter of time and what I'm feeling. Mountains, ocean, swamp, and hills are all within 4-6 hours depending on the direction I point my nose, so it really is just a question of "what do I feel like today?" Once I decide on a place I rarely change my mind, even in the event of inclement weather. I just pack appropriately. Also, I route plan different ways to get there, including fastest and most scenic. Again, it depends on what I'm feeling, but I've regretted taking the scenic way home only once, and that was because I didn't feel good.


Once I figure out when and where, the fun begins! I sit down and scour the park's (or city/town/whatever) website for things to do, usually with an emphasis on hiking, backpacking, and/or animals. I'm currently writing this while sitting in a backcountry campsite in South Llano River State Park, and the main reason I chose to come here is because it just became an International Dark Sky Park. It's also famous for its abundance of birds, and if I was more of a birder I would have known that, but I really just wanted to sleep under the stars. When researching the park/place it's a good idea to check into reservations. Incidentally, this is something I'm really bad at. I hardly ever reserve a campsite, adopting a "go and hope" philosophy, but I know I need to get better, especially when it comes to scoring sites in popular places. I only just managed to secure permits to backpack at the Grand Canyon in May, which is really lucky. Permits and established sites at the most popular parks are notoriously hard to get.


I typically plan a few of my longer hikes in advance, so I can leave an itinerary with Jared and my parents. I leave openings for anything that might catch my attention, like a little nature trail, scenic drive, or whatever, but generally know what trail I'll be on at any given time. This is where I take my companion's experience and ability in to account. If it's Callie, I know she can handle anything I ask her to; she's shown me that time and time again. The only question for her is whether or not she's allowed. For my human companions, I go to them for guidance. Only you know what you can handle, what your limits are, and what will happen if you surpass those limits. My goal is for everyone to enjoy themselves, not push anybody on a forced march.


I also plan out how much food I'll need, and try really, really hard to not bring a cooler. There's nothing worse than having to stop for ice all the time when you're excited to go somewhere! I'm a grazer, so I pretty much eat throughout the day instead of at set meal times, but I do make a point to get in a good dinner, a hot one if I can manage it. I love the dehydrated backpacking meals. So simple, quick, and suprisingly delicious!


At this point in my planning process I know when and where I'm going, what I'm doing, where I'll be sleeping, and what I'll be eating (kinda). It's time to actually pack! I have a comprehensive list of all items to pack, ranging from my tent to makeup. This, of course, is the most variable part of my travels. Am I going somewhere where I need to look decent, or am I roughing it in the middle of nowhere? It completely depends. I have a core set of items I take with me when I stay in civilization, and a core set of items I take with me when I hike and camp. It's actually remarkable how the only thing that really goes on both types of trips is my toothbrush. Well, there are a few other items, but you get my point. Packing varies, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I enjoy packing for camping more, though packing in general means I'll be on the road again soon!


There really isn't much more to it. I plan things out to the best of my ability, and expect to change those plans once I'm actually at the destination because shit happens. When things work out the way I plan, though, it gives me little pops of pride in my chest. Another successful adventure!


What I'm listening to: Kowalski Rag by James Newton Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment