Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Bountiful Desert



Who said the desert isn't colorful? Or bountiful, for that matter. Every spring mature cacti flower, then produce brightly colored fruits that sustain a lot of the animals who call the desert home. Of course, in true cacti fashion these fruits are well protected by spines, stinging hairs, and other defense mechanisms, but if you can get around all of those you are treated with a sweet, juicy fruit. Ever had (or heard of) a prickly pear margarita, chocolates flavored with cacti fruits, or prickly pear jelly? Guess where that comes from.
Side note: I actually have one of these cacti in a pot at home that I got from a friend back in middle school. Still hasn't flowered, but has survived in both Nebraska and East Texas. I love it!

Leave me a comment below and let me know if you've ever tried anything with the fruit of a cactus in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment