Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Weeping Rock(s)


Did you know rocks can cry? Not really, of course, but verticle sandstone cliffs do seep water along the incredible Zion Canyon of Zion National Park, UT. Rare rainwater and snowmelt soaks into sandstone along the upper mesas and clifftops of the canyon, and over thousands of years eventually makes its way down, until it meets a layer of non-porous rock and is forced out of the sandstone in drips and streams. The result is a "weeping" rock, usually hosting a hanging garden of lush green plants and supporting local wildlife. During winter the dripping water forms fantastic icicles and a network of frozen tubes, which I was fortunate enough to see myself when I visited this past January. Seriously, take me back.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever visited Zion, any season of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment