Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Fire and Ice


Lava and snow wouldn't typically mix...unless the lava is more than a thousand years old and has since turned into sharp black rock located in the volcanic mountains around Flagstaff, AZ. In that case, bring on winter! On my (very) short stop in Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument I managed to find a pullout on the road through the park that didn't have a snow pile higher than my car and was able to get out and temporarily appreciate ancient black lava flows covered in nearly ten inches of fresh, fluffy white powder. The next time I get a chance to visit the area I'd love to devote more than twenty minutes in the park, and can't wait to hike among the extinct volcanoes and flows that make up the mountains and deserts around Flagstaff.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever seen anything as surreal as (old) lava covered in snow...Craters of the Moon National Monument, anyone? Look it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment