Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Tiny Bats!


Longhorn Cavern State Park is home to the smallest, most adorable bat I've ever seen! The Eastern Pipistrelle Bat, tiny little things about the size of your thumb, don't roost in huge numbers but prefer to be solitary except during the mating season. I was privileged enough to see a couple of these tiny creatures on my tour of the cavern, and I got way too excited. I love bats, and being able to see such a small one so close was a treat. A side note: I did not shine the light on this little guy, he chose to roost above one of the lights of the cave, so he was lit up already. I was just able to snap a picture of him thanks to his roost choice!

Leave me a comment below and let me know, do you like bats as much as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment