Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: A Land of Extremes


Want to know what it's like to experience cold, snow, rain, sun and warmth all in about thirty minutes? Take a trip to Wupatki National Monument in northern Arizona during the beginning of January and drive the park road from north to south. Holy cow, talk about a difference in weather! I entered the park from the north, attempting to outrun the forecasted 10 inches of snow that was bearing down on me. I rushed my way through every accessible Puebloan ruin in the highlands of the park, and only when it began snowing so hard everything was white did I admit defeat and continue driving south. Winding my way through black and red cinder mounds, I carefully picked my way along the road and tried not to slide into the ditch. Then, after a large curve and a steep downhill, the snow was replaced by rain, and suddenly all precipitation disappeared entirely as the Painted Desert unfurled below me. The lower elevations of the park were clearly nestled in the rainshadow of the nearby mountains, and I was even treated to some sun as I continued to each ruin and viewpoint along the road. It was actually warm enough to remove my coat! I lingered in the lower part of the park before steeling myself to continue on into the nearby ancient volcanic mountains and the next stop along my way.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever experienced such an extreme difference in weather in a short amount of time. I haven't, and I live in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment