Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: The Struggle of a Hiker with Allergies


Like most people, I have allergies. I've got seasonal allergies, allergies to certain medications, and luckily only one life-threatening allergy to moth balls (my airways close up and I stop being able to breathe.) However, I've got an allergy that causes me serious problems as a hiker: I'm allergic to skin adhesives. I break out in a red, raised sometimes painful sometimes itchy rash wherever my skin comes into contact with adhesives. That means no bandaids, which isn't normally a problem because I just use wrap that is adhesive only to itself. But when I hike I like to use moleskin or tape the spots on my heels, toes and feet where I'm prone to getting blisters. In short: don't tape, get blisters; do tape, get a rash. The struggle is real, people.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you have a similar allergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment