Monday, November 2, 2015

What A Difference A Year Can Make


Introspective. Sometime in the middle of 2014, I decided that I would be moving out of Nebraska. I knew I never wanted to stay there, and kept telling myself that I was almost ready to move. Where? I had nothing concrete, but I played with fantasies of central Colorado, southern Utah, or western Oregon. I had gone as far as to confide in my family and friends that I would be moving some time in the next year. I had no idea how I was going to make it, no job (I hadn't even looked) or anything. And then, around this time last year, Jared got a phone call from a place in Texas called Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge. They offered him a job, starting as soon as possible. A simple phone call threw both Jared's and my lives up in the air. The two of us had several long discussions about where we stood, what we wanted, and if/how we could continue seeing each other. Jared had thought that Texas was off the table for me; I had been vehemently anti-Texas for a while, and that was something he was aware of. Texas was on the very bottom of the list of states I wanted to live in. And yet, I was actually willing to consider moving from Nebraska, to Texas, with Jared.

Marley protecting Freya as we drive to Texas
Trajen settled right in to our new home
However, I wasn't going anywhere immediately. With my health problems last year, I would have had a hard time leaving my doctor's care, plus I wasn't prepared to up and leave everything anyway. During the course of our discussions Jared even tried to talk me out of following him, to stay in Lincoln with all of my friends, family, and everything I'd ever known. After I reminded him multiple times that one way or another I would be moving out of Nebraska in 2015, either to Texas with him or to some other state alone, he and I decided to try the long-distance thing and see how it went. He moved to Texas to begin working with big cats in the middle of November, and I tried to go back to normal while also thinking more about moving away from home. Jared and I Skyped whenever we could, and even put up with phone calls to each other (neither of us like talking on the phone much,) and I went to visit him for my December Adventure.

Thunder likes laying on his back...he's an odd cat
Luna isn't grumpy, she's actually a sweetheart!
Then, on New Year's Eve while sitting at home being antisocial I started looking for jobs and places to live in Tyler, Texas. Jared and I talked a lot that night, and I made sure that as long as he was ok with it, as long as we still wanted to make this work, me moving to Texas was still an option. On New Year's Eve I decided to pack up and move to Texas at the end of February. I spent the next two months getting every detail hammered out, saying goodbye to friends, and packing. Except for a job. I was unemployed when I left my parent's house around 6am on February 26th to begin my biggest adventure, move in with Jared, and start my new life.

Chesler the hedgehog! Jared got him for me for my birthday
Caiera gets pushy when she wants attention!
The new life I chose has failed to settle down at all since I moved to Texas. I knew the first month or so would be crazy, getting unpacked, learning a new town, getting used to the idea of having to call everybody I've ever known if I wanted to talk to them. And the job thing. Remember, I didn't have a job. I thought that once I developed a routine, new habits, and got used to my new life things would slow down. Instead, I seem to have developed a new "normal," the tempo of which is much faster than my life in Lincoln.

My owl-eyed Freya gets along just fine with everybody in the house!
Callie plays hard all day, then passes out when her day sits with her
I went in to Tiger Creek on the Monday after I moved down here to talk to the boss, to see if I could get at least a part time job just to have some sort of income. I started work that day. I also worked part time for a lady who has a private collection of exotics, and hoped to be able to make it working both jobs until something became more permanent. Now, nearly eight months later, Jared's and my relationship is better than ever, I'm a full time administrator at Tiger Creek, I work once a week with hedgehogs at the same private residence, I've made friends, and my traveling passion has only grown. I'm always doing something, whether adventuring, working, or planning my next trip.

Tara, one of the amazing tigers at Tiger Creek, always comes to say hi whenever I go see her
I still get to adventure, including a recent white-water rafting trip with an old friend from Lincoln
I'm still trying to find a balance between work life, home life with Jared, and all of my traveling. As I become more comfortable at my job, I get new responsibilities and tasks that take up a lot of time. I've been able to devote most of my weekends, holidays, and vacation time to adventuring, whether it's for a day trip or a week trip, and I'm gone a lot. If I'm off of work but not traveling, I'm usually either getting ready for another adventure, or cleaning up from my last adventure. Sorting through countless photos takes a lot of time (just ask Jared how many pictures I take,) and I always make the effort to sit down and write. I maintain a travel journal when I'm on the road, but I also enjoy sharing my stories on places like Instagram, Facebook, and of course, this blog. *Side note: It's my blog's birthday! I've been sharing my travel stories for a full year now....crazy!!*

Cybil the Leopard is so goofy!! She's go quite the personality
Tin Cup loves to play hide-and-seek, and he won't say no to a nice mouse for a snack either. He's a mountain lion.
Dakari and Cleo, Servals, are so spunky! They're still babies...for now. 
I wouldn't trade any of this for the world. Moving to Texas has been the best decision I've ever made, and I'm reminded how much I love it here nearly every day. I've managed to surround myself with animal people, just like I did in Lincoln, and have challenged myself in both my work life and home life, and have found that I can overcome anything. Things have a tendency to work out the way I want them to...I'm persistant to a fault. I work hard, play hard, and know how to chill and take it easy. Guys, I love my life.

Bosco the bobcat hangs out in his hammock
This is a week old hedgehog. Aren't they cute!?

Pepe's calls, and that of his pride, can be heard all over Tiger Creek. It's pretty neat.
What a difference a year can make. Look at me now!

I still managed to visit Canyonlands this year, even with everything going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment