Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: I Can Get Excited Over Slimy Amphibians


My September trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park was full of new experiences, and seeing a wild salamander for the first time was certainly a highlight. Of course, it rains A TON in the Smokies, and all that moisture creates a perfect habitat for the amphibious salamanders. This guy blended in perfectly with the dark trail under the forest canopy, and I wouldn't have seen him at all if he hadn't scurried over my foot. He was bigger than I expected, and lightening-fast. I got so excited every time I saw a new salamander, and every one of them was different! They were all quick and usually dark in color, making them nearly impossible to see. I'm sure I stepped over many more on my many miles of trails exploring the rainy forests of the Smokies. I can't wait to be back in that area (perhaps on an AT thru-hike??) and see what else those trees and little rivers hide.

Leave me a comment below and give me your thoughts on salamanders! Are they only good for fish bait or do you think they're as fascinating as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment