Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Me, Cooking On An Adventure!


Guys, I actually cooked while on an adventure. And I don't mean hotdogs and s'mores, but actual hot meals that I had to put a tiny bit of effort into. Kinda. I've known about freeze-dried meals for a while, ever since I started researching how to be a better hiker/adventurer, but never really had the urge to try them. Why should I, when granola bars and gatorade, trailmix and coffee were getting me through each trip? Then one of my best friends sent me a few packets for my birthday this year, I knew I needed to give them a try. I actually won an ultralite cooking system, and only needed to buy the can of fuel to make a meal. So, on my recent week spent in the forests of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I put in the effort to make myself a hot meal. And by put in the effort I mean I filled the little pot with water, screwed the stove together, lit a match and watched water boil. Once boiling, you pour the water into the packet, seal it, and wait. That's my kind of meal! Some of the meals were great, some not so much, but I'll definitely be buying more of these for my next trip. My only complaint: I need packets that are single serve; I just can't eat a two-serving packet in one sitting, and I don't like carrying a cooler+ice. Otherwise, I'm sold!

Leave me a comment below and let me know if you know where I can find some single-serve meal packets!

No comments:

Post a Comment