Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Ice Jams and Broken Trails


Marley and I enjoyed ourselves on a fair winter day in February 2014 while hiking in Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge near Valentine, NE. It was just the two of us on the trail, which took us down and up the forested bluffs paralleling the Niobrara River. Where the trail looped closest to the river, we found ourselves blocked by massive chunks of ice that had been shoved onto the banks. It was either turn around, or climb over the ice jam. Marley absolutely refused to get onto the ice, so in the end I picked his 75 pound butt up and carried him myself. I put him down right on the edge of the ice, made him stay and jumped down to snap this picture of the "trail." If I had known that I would be putting "trail" in quotes for many of my adventures throughout the year I probably would have reconsidered my New Year's Resolution....but I'm sure glad I didn't!!

Leave me a comment below and tell me about a "trail" that you've hiked!

No comments:

Post a Comment