Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Tiny Ledges and Water Monsters


Along the trail to Druid Arch, Cat and I mostly followed a dry wash along the bottom of Elephant Canyon in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. Near our destination, however, the trail left the bottom of the wash and climbed the steep cliffs that shaded most of our morning journey. Somewhere around 50 feet above the bottom of the canyon, the trail spit us out onto a little, teeny tiny sand and rock ledge. On one side, there was a wall of vertical sandstone a hundred feet high, while on the other there was nothing but a few shrub bushes between us and a pool of deep green water of unknown depth. I'm pretty sure the water actually cut out the sandstone directly underneath the ledge we were standing on, just like it had on the other side of the pool. Now, I've made it clear that I'm not afraid of heights, but I was a little uncomfortable on that ledge. Of course, I stopped long enough to snap a few pictures, but I can't say I was enthusiastic about having to cross that ledge on our return trip. Maybe it was because I couldn't see how deep the pool was, but I could only imagine some sort of water monster waiting to snatch any hiker who accidentally falls in. Or, you know, worrying about breaking my neck if I were to slip. 

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you would have had the courage to walk along that ledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment