Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2014 New Year's Resolution Wrap-up


Joy! I actually accomplished my New Year's Resolution, decided in the middle of a cold winter when my cabin fever seemed like it would crush me. I set out to explore my state and surrounding country once a month, to drive and drive and drive to my heart's content. Sometimes I went alone, more often I had a companion or two along for the ride. Following is an overview of all of my 16 different road trips over the past year, along with the statistics of my vacations that probably only I find interesting.


A homestead house in Homestead National Monument
January: Homestead National Monument in Beatrice, NE. A couple of friends and I spent hours exploring this little monument tucked in the southeast corner of the state. It was a beautiful January day, warm enough for long sleeves and jeans. We even got to hike a bit in the prairie.

Megan and I getting ready to ski
 February: Two trips this month, the first was skiing at Mount Crescent, IA. Can you believe there is skiing in the Midwest? It's nothing like the slopes of the Rockies, but the Loess Hills along the Missouri River do the best they can! My friend Megan and I spent half the day on the slope, and once we had taken the refresher course on how to ski (and stop) we got on the lift and had a blast! It was a cold and snowy day, and it was perfect.

Marley on the beach at Merritt Reservoir
My second trip in February was a weekend trip to Valentine, NE and Merritt Reservoir. I have always loved Bald Eagles, and in the winter months they congregate around open water so they can continue to eat. The reservoir rarely freezes over entirely, so it's a magnet for eagles. Marley and I got up early in the morning on a Saturday, drove the five hours to the reservoir and were not disappointed! SO MANY EAGLES! We enjoyed ourselves driving around the lake and walking on the frozen beach, then checked into our hotel and took a nap. After we were refreshed we headed to Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge and took a trail along the Niobrara river to Fort Falls, and also enjoyed the entertainment provided by a prairie dog town taunting a badger along a prairie backroad. We also got to see Smith Falls, the highest waterfall in Nebraska. Sunday met us with a Sandhills blizzard, and it was slow going and nerve-racking as we tried to get south of the storm. Once we did, it was clear sailing on the way home.

Overlooking the Missouri River at Ponca State Park
March: Myself and a friend, Torrey, spent a marathon Sunday driving around the northeast Nebraska on a self-guided tour of the historical sites in that part of the the state. We were gone for 15 hours, visited several state parks including Niobrara State Park and Ponca State Park, and many more historical sites and markers. We were treated to several Bald Eagle sightings, and enjoyed a hike along the Niobrara River bluffs. It was a beautiful, clear winter day, and we made the most of it.

Marley sitting pretty at Spring Hollow, Indian Cave State Park
April: First camping trip of the year! Megan and I took Marley with us to Indian Cave State Park, NE. We were some of the few out camping that weekend, mostly because there was a severe storm in the forecast. It held out on us, though, until we finished our hike the next morning. We were lightly rained on the last ten minutes or so, but once we reached my car the sky opened up with a vengeance. Can't tell you how happy we were to have finished our hike just in time! Not so happy about the dozen or so ticks we picked up along the way, but whatever. Worth it.

Marley and Panda playing with a "stick" in a creek at Castlewood State Park
May: Marley and I took our first road trip out of state was to go visit a friend, Cat (and her dog Panda), near St. Louis, MO. Over Memorial Day weekend we hiked in Castlewood State Park, went zip-lining and had a cave tour at Meramec Caverns, visited Cahokia Mounds State Historical Site in Illinois, went to the St. Louis Zoo, and admired a sculpture garden. BUSY weekend! It was fabulous.

Moraine Park in Rocky Mountain National Park
June: My solo trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, CO. I've written about one of the hikes I did in a previous post, but I have a couple of more stories to tell still! It was a four day weekend accomplished at my own pace, with plenty of time to think, get to know myself and my comfort levels, and do whatever I damn well pleased without consulting anybody else. Note to self: I should do something like that more often.

July: Could have been a major disappointment, but luckily I try to look on the bright side of things and make the best out of any situation. After a white water rafting trip had to be cancelled due to my health, I was instead able to go with my boyfriend, Jared, while he went home over that weekend, and I was introduced to his parents. It was a fun weekend, filled with getting to know each other and plenty of picking on Jared. Adventure, indeed!
I also made another trip to see Cat, and we were supposed to go skydiving, but had to cancel due to severe weather. I for one do not want to jump out of a plane and be struck by lightning! Instead we went shopping, watched movies, and also went back to Castlewood State Park. It was a short and sweet weekend, even if it wasn't what I went for. (I was bad, I didn't take ANY pictures of my travels in July-I just didn't have it in me).

The view from Pike's Peak
August: This trip was kind of just thrown together and done on a whim. I ran away with Torrey to Pike's Peak, CO! Her dad ran the marathon up and down Pike's Peak, and Torrey and I went along to cheer him on. It was just for a weekend, but we managed to get in some sight-seeing, shopping, checked out the Peak, Garden of the Gods, and also went to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Got in a couple of easy hikes and plenty of driving through the mountains! Next time I go back I am so doing the Manitou Incline. Think wooden stairs, straight up the side of a mountain, 2000 feet of elevation gain in less than a mile. Count me in.

Grand View Point, Canyonlands National Park
September: My longest and one of my top trips of the year, Cat and I spent a week hiking roughly 60 miles in the deserts and canyon country around Moab, UT. It was wonderful, it was magical, it was both strenuous and relaxing, it was amazing, and I'm already thinking about when and how I can go back. The red rocks of the desert capture my heart in a way that no where else has ever been able to do, except maybe the snow-capped peaks of the Rockies. I have many stories about my vacation there, some of which I have already written posts about here, here, here, and here. Trust me, there are plenty more to come.

Marley and Callie on the trail at Ponca State Park
My second trip of the month was a day trip to Ponca State Park, NE. I took Marley and Jared's dog, Callie, with me to go hiking in the wooded bluffs along the Missouri River. It was a short trip, but it was good for both the dogs and myself! I was missing the desert, and needed to get outside again. Mission accomplished.

Nothing like those Sandhills skies
October: Two trips this month as well. My daddy and I took a weekend to visit the Sandhills in north central Nebraska on a quest to photograph the state historical markers along the way. We made it as far north as Valentine, got a motel room, then were up at dawn to continue our quest. We got something like 56 or so markers, plus plenty of sightseeing. The Sandhills are always fun to drive through, and the prairies and open blue skies make one think of pioneer days, and of the ranching that is the current lifeblood of the area. Dad and I visited Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge and we retraced my steps in February. I'm glad we finally had some father-daughter time. We've never taken a trip together like that, and I'm thankful to my daddy for instilling the love of travel, adventure, exploration and driving into me.

That's right. That's me! And the parachute is pink, even!
My second trip of October I've already written about in my first post: Skydiving!! Once again I visited Cat, and we made the trip to Paxton, IL to test our luck and jump out of a plane. It was an incredible experience, and I seriously want to become a licensed jumper. There is nothing in the world like the feeling of being in free fall.

Callie snuggled in my mummy sleeping bag. Why? Because she fit. Kinda.
November: Last camping trip of the year, and it was kind of a disaster. My sister, Alisha, and I took Marley and Callie to Indian Cave State Park. We had the whole campground to ourselves, we got in late, and from the get-go I made so many mistakes it was like I had never camped before. I always go through my travel list before any trip, yet I neglected to do so on this final camping expedition. As a result, we forgot stupid things that shouldn't have been an issue. I also *accidentally* ran over my sister's air mattress.. I still owe her a new one. Ahhh.. good memories. We checked out the park's namesake, but left fairly early once we decided we had already pushed the limits of our luck. We visited some family in the area, and headed home less than 24 hours after we set out.

BIG kitty at the tiger refuge!
December: My last trip of the year was also one of my favorites. I went to visit Jared in Tyler, TX, where he moved to in November for a job working with big cats. I had a three day weekend, so Marley and I loaded up and headed south to where it was warm, humid, and actually awesome. I have a bit of a prejudice against Texas, but pushed it aside and enjoyed my stay. I got a tour of Jared's work, and we also visited the Tyler zoo. Callie and Marley were so happy to see each other! It was also fantastic to see Jared after a month apart. I can't wait to visit again, especially now that it is 30 degrees and threatening snow as I type this.

Snow in June at Rocky Mountain National Park. For reference, I'm 5'5".
Now, my New Year's Resolution by the numbers:
13,241 miles driving my car, with a couple of thousand more miles in someone else's car. So, somewhere around 15,000 miles spent in a car just on my road trips.
Roughly 35 days spent traveling. I kept better records in the last half of the year, but I don't know my exact timing because I didn't keep perfect track for the first few months. But I can safely say I spent over one total month traveling throughout the year.
I had 10 companions with me on my trips, and they either actually rode in the car with me, or I was going to visit them. Also, 5 furry companions!
I hiked around 105 miles. I wish this number was multiplied by about 5, but sometimes life just doesn't let you do what you want. 
I spent 12 nights in a tent, and 16 nights in either a hotel or someone's home. Shout out to everybody who let me stay with them, and also to the people who let me borrow their tent when mine just wouldn't cut it. 
I visited 9 states, 6 national parks/monuments, and countless state parks. The parks system is one of the best programs out there, conserving irreplaceable natural beauty, historically important sites, and preserving our past culture for our future ones. Anybody who says otherwise must live under a rock. 
And finally, I spent well over $3000 on my trips. Again, I didn't keep perfect records at the beginning, but I can safely say I spent a minimum of $3000. Probably closer to $4000. Worth. Every. Single. Penny.

Touching stingrays at the St. Louis Zoo
I would like to point out here that I am not privileged or special. The only trip my parents paid for was the one I took with Daddy, and that was because he wouldn't let me pay. I work a full time job with forty hours of paid vacation and forty hours of sick leave. I work a part time job that takes up one or two Sundays a month. I pick up pet/house-sitting jobs whenever possible. I work my ass off to be able to afford my travels. I have had a shitty year in terms of loss, having lost both my great grandmother AND my last remaining grandparent in general, an amazing woman I am lucky enough to call Grandma. I have been diagnosed with a major illness that is likely to be with me for the rest of my life, autoimmune hepatitis, which gives me fevers, fatigue that makes me want to sleep endlessly, and attacks my joints to the point where I have trouble getting up off of the floor and has turned my grip to shit. On bad days I'm lucky if I can move my wrists, and when this first started I could hardly walk. This illness is the reason I didn't hike nearly as much as I wanted to this year, and also why I had to cancel my white water rafting trip-I probably would have fallen out of the boat and drowned because I  wouldn't have been able to hold on. I have pushed my limits, probably more than I should have, but I pushed anyway and found that I surpassed even my own expectations. But I knew when to stop, when I couldn't possibly do any more or else risk serious injury.
Sunset is the best time to visit Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.
I don't write this asking for pity. I'm actually saying there are no excuses when it comes to doing what you want to do. Traveling has become my passion, and I made it a priority. If one thing wouldn't work, I found something that would. I intentionally scheduled trips around weekends and holidays, knowing it would give me extra days without having to take off of work. I made every single hour of paid vacation count, even though I lost all of my sick leave and a few hours of vacation to my illness when I was out of work for a week due to doctor's orders. That was in July. I still had half a year of traveling to go! If you want to travel, you'll make the time. I made it work even with so many factors against me. I am already planning another couple of trips for 2015, and I can't wait to be on the road again.


What I'm listening to: Drive It Like You Stole It by The Glitch Mob

No comments:

Post a Comment