Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Snapshot and The Scoop: High Water Marks


Whenever you hike, camp, or really in general travel, it is always good to observe your surroundings in greater detail than you would were you at home. High water marks are something I always notice when I'm around any body of water, whether it's a stream, a lake, or the ocean. First of all, as a camper it is imperative I pitch my tent above the highest place water can get, so I don't get swept away in the night. Noticing flood debris like logs or boulders wedged in weird places tells me how high I need to climb should I be caught in a rain storm.. The waterlines on lakes, especially dam-controlled lakes, are less dire to notice but I still like to look and imagine the lake at full capacity. No waterlines? It's likely the water is as high as it's ever been!

Leave me a comment and let me know if I'm the only one to notice high water marks. Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment