Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Snapshot and The Scoop: The Flint Quarries


I made a pit stop at Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument on my way to Colorado this August, just to check it out. The national monument has always been close to the route I take to leave Texas when I travel west, but I've never stopped. I decided to check it off my list and see what it was all about. I didn't stay too long, but I visited the museum and visitors center and learned how the ancient people who occupied the area mined flint for tools and trade from the rocks that is so close to the surface. I saw examples of tools found in the area, from knives to scrappers to arrowheads, and also a representation of what a quarry would look like. I didn't take one of the ranger-guided tours due to time restraints, but I did drive the short park roads before leaving. Next time I'll take a tour!

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever heard of this small national monument in the panhandle of Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment