Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Birds of Scavenging


Vultures, or buzzards down here in Texas, can have a pretty morbid reputation as scavengers. I personally think they're fascinating birds, and always enjoy watching them soar in spirals on thermals above the earth, searching for their next meal. There were a pair of vultures perched above a tinaja on my recent hiking adventure in Colorado Bend State Park, and I made sure to point my camera their way for more than a few minutes while they hung around the waterhole. I managed to catch this one right as it took flight, spreading it's enormous wings before it dropped low to a cliff closer to the edge of the water. It was too hot to sit and watch them for as long as I wanted, but I enjoyed the chance I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment