Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: An Overlook


At the beginning of October I took off for a weekend in central Arkansas and paid a visit to Petit Jean State Park. After leaving the interstate I turned onto a curvy, winding mountain road, though one that flattened out as I approached the Arkansas River. That is, however, until I started to climb up this bluff. The road switchbacked tightly on top of itself and before I knew it, the road spit me out along the top of a narrow ridge, and the first entrance to the state park practically begged to be explored. Turning down the little road, it didn't take long to reach the small parking lot for the overlook and a picnic area. I leashed Callie and got out to check it out. The photo above shows you the view that greeted me on that warm autumn day. The story of Petit Jean is inscribed on a plaque near the edge of the overlook, and the legend states that she was buried somewhere on that bluff overlooking the river below. True or not, you can't deny that it is a beautiful place to rest.

Leave me a comment below and let me know if you've ever visited Petit Jean State Park. Did you stop at this overlook?

No comments:

Post a Comment