Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Everything is Bigger in Texas...Including the Spiders


Let me set the scene: I was walking along a trail in Big Thicket National Preserve on a bright December day that had started out around freezing with frost covering everything but had warmed up through the morning to the point that I was shedding layers as I hiked. I just so happened to be looking straight ahead at the trail in front of me when I very nearly walked straight into this gigantic spider sitting in a web that stretched the entire width of my path. I was so happy I was looking in front of me; usually I look all around me, my eyes flicking from the trail at my feet to either side and even behind me. I'm not afraid of spiders, but I have to admit that walking into a web with a spider bigger than my palm at the same level as my face would have freaked me out! I carefully found a way around the web, careful not to disturb the giant spider sitting in its center, and continued on my way. When I came back through on the way to my car, the web and spider were no longer blocking my path; I can only assume one of the other hikers had removed the web as they passed, probably a little more apprehensive of the spider than I was.

Leave me a comment below and tell me what you would have done if you'd come across a giant spider like this golden orb-weaver!

No comments:

Post a Comment