Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Potatoes on the Peaks


When I told everyone we had accomplished our goal of hiking six 14'ers in five days, a lot of people asked what got us through it. Hiking mountains is no easy task, let alone hiking 14,000 foot mountains back to back for a week. Jokingly but not, I always told them it was the three P's: Pride, Pepsi, and Potatoes. I am far too stubborn to let anything short of catastrophe stop me from finishing a goal, so my pride wouldn't allow me to take the hit if the only reason I was stopping short was because I was a little tired. Pepsi, because I'm a caffine fiend who probably has an addiction problem (I'm drinking one as I write this, as a matter of fact...) And potatoes? Well, funnily enough despite twenty plus years of friendship Torrey and I only just discovered last year that we both enjoy raw potatoes as snacks. And you can't really go wrong with potatoes as a source of fuel for your body on strenuous hikes, given the starches and crisp crunch that goes a long way toward making it yummy on the trail. So every mountain we climbed found us also hauling up a couple of baby potatoes each, munching on them at the summit of each mountain to refuel after the climb and prepare for the hike down. So yes, potatoes are going to be a staple on every hike we take together. Pride, pepsi, and potatoes. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Leave me a comment and tell me what your must-haves are when you hike or travel! What weird and wonderful things do you carry that get you through a trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment