Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Fairy Land


Apparently I have an overly active imagination. The last Snapshot I wrote I described zombies popping out of the ground and chasing Torrey and I through the backwoods of Arkansas all because I stepped on a rock that moved, and now I'm about to spout off about how much the Buffalo River Trail made me think of what I envision the mystical land of fairies to look like. The little spring pictured above, bubbling from between the mossy shelves of Ozark rocks, fed a little forest pool that Torrey and I circumvented while hiking the final leg of the BRT this autumn. Maybe we'd been on the trail too long and maybe I had nothing better to do than make up stories in my head instead of thinking about how much my feet hurt, but I couldn't help but think the forest we passed through would be the perfect setting for a story about fairies, practically seeing the woodland creatures playing around the little spring in real life. With the last vestiges of autumn drifting to the forest floor around us and winter settling in, a cool drizzle soaking our outer clothes but not enough to chill us, the setting for a fantasy story seemed ripe for the taking. And maybe I just wanted to be out of my head for a bit, and making up silly little things helped. Who knows. Do you believe in fairies?

No comments:

Post a Comment