Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Snapshot and The Scoop: Wupatki


I've visited this small national monument set on the edge of the vast Painted Desert between volcanic cinder hills and sweeping prairie before, but this time I got to take my history-buff sister! Alisha and I made a special trip to Wupatki on our way home from the Grand Canyon last May just because I knew how much she would love the history and culture of the monument, and I had to share it with her. The ancient culture who lived, farmed, hunted, and built homes in this arid land are admirable for many reasons, not least that they lived next to an active volcano not too far to the south. All that remains of these ancestoral people are pottery shards and crumbling stone buildings, but you can't help but imagine how their lives once were.

Leave me a comment below and tell me if you've ever visited Wupatki National Monument near Flagstaff, AZ. Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment