Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Fourth Annual Father-Daughters Adventure (Plus Jared and Mom!)


Reveling. You guys, I've been horrible about writing lately as I'm sure you've noticed. It's not for lack of travelling either, as you'll see, but more on my part. Life has been crazy busy and I just haven't forced myself to sit down long enough to get a story or two typed out on the keyboard. I hope to change that, because I just got back from an epic adventure in the deserts of the Southwestern U.S. and can't wait to share it all with you! Before that, though, I want to tell you about the fourth annual Father-Daughters trip we took at the beginning of May.


I say Father-Daughters, but the annual trip is evolving into more of a whole family vacation because last year Jared went with us, and this year both Jared and my mom went! The only person we were missing was my brother, and I'm sure he'll come along next year. You can probably already tell from the pictures, but we went back to the San Antonio Riverwalk this year! The Riverwalk has always been a favorite destination for my parents, and when I was old enough to enjoy the bars crowded along the narrow sidewalks I came to enjoy it as well. It is likely that we'll continue to return in future years, because who doesn't like drinking and eating all day?


 My parents and sister flew in to San Antonio on a Thursday morning and Jared and I joined them after work that same evening. It's about a five hour drive for us, and though Jared would disagree with me, it isn't too bad. We hit the Riverwalk mid-morning on Friday, taking our time strolling along the river as the shops and restaurants opened around us. We sat down at the first of several places for the day and were soon enjoying cold drinks and appetizers. Everywhere we went the usual flocks of ducks and sparrows, cowbirds and grackles, crowded the sidewalk alongside the people. Jared entertained us by trying to lure ducks close enough to catch, but he was never successful, thankfully.


We started mid-morning both days, ate and drank for a bit, then headed back to the hotel for a nap before getting up and going out for the evening. We also had to make a stop at The Alamo, mostly because we walked right past it on our way from the hotel to the river and back. Guys, they do a real good job of making it pop at night. It's just beautiful. We got in a little shopping and tried a really awesome martini bar where the drinks were gorgeously crafted and dangerously yummy, ate all manner of different foods, and enjoyed people watching from the comfort of the patios we sat on. It was a wonderful little getaway, and I'm already looking forward to next year's trip!


What I'm listening to: The Shadow of the Past by Howard Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment